Sunday, March 14, 2010

Healthy living is all about balance

     I'm having a hard time with people telling me not to lose more weight. I am 141 and my goal, which is reasonable for my height and bone structure, is 130. I seem to take that comment personally. I lost this pregnancy weight (Lydia) the first time around with Weight Watchers, and while I was eating fairly healthy then, I am actually eating healthier now, incorporating more whole foods and eating less processed food. I stopped buying "diet" foods because most of those have added sugar and chemicals in them, which mess up your metabolism. Do I eat processed foods still? Yes, I am human after all. 
     I have yo-yoed with my weight since my early twenties. I remember seeing a photo of me when I first realized I had gained about 20 pounds. I did the gym, I dieted, and up until I started Weight Watchers, I probably wasn't that healthy about it. At the same time, I never really ever lost the weight. I just lost, gained, lost, and gained. I had a nice thin period that I call the divorce diet, but that didn't last once I met my current husband and became happy again. (Thanks a lot honey.)
     Since I am currently "dieting," I work on teaching my children about being healthy so they can have a good relationship with food and exercise.  I hate the word diet and I push "being healthy" at home. Lydia knows that she has to eat healthy food before she can have junk food. She actually prefers apple slices to fries with her happy meal. Yes, we eat at McDonald's. She likes to "workout." On occasion, she will eat a Boston Cream doughnut with mom at the kitchen table. We share the love for the same doughnut. It really is all about balance.
     So now, I'm on my last venture to lose weight (thanks Jonny) and I intend to keep it off this time around. Weight Watchers gave me the tools to know how to do it successfully this time. I have read a few books that gave me insight to how food choices affect your body, which has taught me how to make better choices with what I do eat.  I can ensure you that I do eat. I eat three balanced meals a day, with snacks. I don't eat like a bird. I eat real meals. Trust me, my non-breakfast eating friends can tell you how I tell them breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Do I count calories? Yes, loosely, so I can make conscious decisions about my food. I try not to eat mindlessly. I have a nice balance at the gym. I go most days of the week, but I'm not a freak about it. I'm at the gym for an hour or so at a time. I don't feel like I'm a failure if I don't go. I learned that it is key for me to workout in the morning if I intend to make it to the gym that day.
     So for those that tell me I don't need to lose any more weight~ Thank you for thinking I look good, but really, when you say that to me, I feel that you are saying that you don't think I am healthy and you don't think I have a handle on my weight loss. Ironically, I am healthier than I've ever been in my life. I don't think of myself as being on a diet. I am exercising and making healthy balanced food choices, all within a very reasonable calorie range. I know what my body is capable of and what I can maintain in lifelong terms. I promise you that I intend to annoy you with healthy living tips for a very, very long time.

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Carrie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are taking it the wrong way- I think they are just trying to say that you look good! What would you rather people say- "Yeah,you DO need to lose that last 10 pounds, you look like crap." ?? I don't think anyone is doubting that you are taking a healthy route to losing baby weight. Anyone who reads your FB posts can see that.

    But,thanks for the heads up. I consider myself forewarned not to comment at all on your physical appearance the next time I see you. That seems to be the safe route?? Love you-T

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but if they would please stop hounding me about it, then I would be happier. I get that they are saying I look good. I get that and I'm thankful for that. I certainly don't think I look BAD at the weight I'm currently at. I get that they don't think I need to lose more weight, but say it once and be done with it, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You looked great when we were together in Feb., but I understand that what I think and what you feel are completely different. With that being said, I KNOW you are doing it right and I learn lots by your posts on FB. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carrie,
    I think you are doing a great job at losing weight no matter what people around you are saying. I also had to lose some pregnancy weight (about 10 lbs) and I chose a slow but steady pace of doing it. My girls (twins!) are 2 now and I am in a better shape than I was before pregnancy. I know that my husband and my relatives sometimes tell me that I can eat a little bit more (1 or 2 extra pounds won't harm me :)))) but I feel great at the weight I am at right now.
    I think it is important for women to be satisfied with their bodies. Our body is like a piece of art that we want to chisel to suit our inner world and our dreams. I wish you luck with your last 10 pounds. I am sure you will get your ideal body!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't listen to what other people say. I'm short too, and my weight range is like 110-130 and 135 is the max! I congratulate you on your weight loss so far! I too, have been a yo-yo dieter, plus I am a lifetimer of Weight Watchers who gained it all back.

    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete