Thursday, March 10, 2011

The only things in this life that you really regret are the risks you didn't take

"The only things in this life that you really regret are the risks you didn't take. And God knows if you see a chance to be happy, you grab it with both hands and to hell with the consequences."
~Grumpy Old Men~


     I just can’t seem to find the time to blog…life is full and I have no complaints. The big 4-0 is rounding the corner. Just seven days left of my thirties and I’m on to a new decade. It’s time to up the face cream ante and grab life by the horns. My mom asked me if I had a problem turning forty, and outside of the occasional deep wrinkle that glares back at me, I have no qualms of moving into the next era of my life. I’m in a good place with a wonderful husband, two beautiful children, a nice home, good friends and a career that I enjoy. My cup is full.
     However, turning forty makes me want to take on a new challenge. My last personal challenge was over ten years ago, when I walked the Boston 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk, totaling 60-miles. My cousin couldn’t do it with me so I had to make the decision to bow out or to do it alone. Being a person who wouldn’t even go to the movies alone, it was a big deal to go to Boston and spend three days walking with strangers; but I did it and I’ve added it to the top best things that happened in my life. Now it’s time to add to that list again and this year, I’m adding the marathon to my list. I signed up for the Empire State Inaugural Marathon this coming October, and just yesterday, I signed up for a marathon training program that starts in May. If I’m going to do it, I want to do it right, with smart training.
     I just recently ran the hilly 4-mile Shamrock Run with my friend Emily. I have, or dare I say, HAD, some racing anxiety, so Emily coached me through the race. I was fine, no anxiety! Gladly, I signed myself up for my next race in May, the 10-mile Mountain Goat, another hilly course, but I’m ready to take it on. That training will land me in a perfect spot for the marathon training program that will begin two weeks later.
     The kids are doing well. Lydia just had a 5th birthday party, which she was super excited about. Turning five was a BIG deal for her. She is a big kid now, so she says. We had a Fancy Nancy Tea Party theme at Shades of Orange Art Studio for Kids. It turned out to be a great party. Jonathan is moving right into toddlerhood and his personality is starting to shine. His first official word was “poopa” and his first sentence was, “I did it!” Recently he has taken to the ball and I think he thinks he is going to be a basketball star. I can’t keep him away from the basketball nets at the bounce place we go to. I’m pretty sure that height will not be on his side for his future in basketball. He does have a great two hand overhead throw, so maybe he can bring that into a career in soccer. His dad was quick on the soccer field so maybe he’ll inherit some of that gene.

No comments:

Post a Comment